I’ve made a lot of soups but recently I’m experimenting with putting spices into them. This soup is simple and for those of you who like a hot kick in your mouth, this is defintely for you. This serves 2.
1 red onion
4 carrots, chopped in big cubes
1 litre of vegetable stock
1/2 cup of cream
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
a pinch of garlic powder
salt and pepper for seasoning
- Dice the onions and saute them in oil. Saute them until they are close to caramelizing.
- Add the carrots and saute them altogether until caramelized, but not burnt. So be careful.
- Add the stock until it covers the carrots. Extra can be used for top up when the liquid has slightly evaporated. Simmer for at least 15 minutes. (I know it’s long, but it’s to get the natural sweetness from the carrots and onions.)
- Take of the heat and blend it. Be careful with the splatter.
- Put it back on the heat (be careful of splatters here too). Add the cream and stir.
- Add the spices and seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs or extra cream for that cool design, and serve.